, , , , , , , , ,

Impulse Purchase Success Stories

3:26 am




With the first in the line of 40% off two-day mega sales starting at Priceline yesterday (Fragrance is up first) I started thinking about some of my more successful impulse buys I've picked up in the past sales. Usually I do a lot of research into the products I buy but these guys made their way into my little pink basket in the chaos of it all, and it turns out I actually love what I picked up.

Pond's Flawless White BB+ in Light: This is great for evening out your skin on days when you want a lighter coverage. It provides a light to medium coverage (all-be-it on the lighter side of medium) and gives a natural dewy finish. It blends out smoothly with minimal effort and, like most BB creams, it's great for applying with fingers when you're in a rush. Whilst it doesn't have a pump it is relatively easy to control the amount of product you get out of the bottle. It's great for those with a light to fair complexion with yellow undertones. Unfortunately though there are only two shades available. If you are looking for a lighter base at a low price-point for pink undertones the Max Factor CC Cream in Fair (don't be fooled by the dark swatch on the Priceline website - it's way off) is similar with slightly more coverage.

Face of Australia Translucent Loose Powder: This is a beautiful, finely milled powder for such a crazy affordable price. You get enough product to last you a life time, providing you don't spill it everywhere when you open the lid. Because it is loose it isn't the best product for carrying around in your hand bag for touch ups during the day, but it does work really well to extend the wear time of your foundation without making it look cakey. This is also great if you're looking for a loose powder to use as per the Goss foundation method.

Max Factor Wild Shadow Pots: Excuse the cheap packaging because these are some gorgeous eyeshadows. Highly pigmented, creamy formula with minimal fallout in some beautiful everyday colours. These are a great option for someone just starting out in makeup and not wanting to spend a lot of money on eyeshadows. I have the shades Burnt Bark (pictured), Aubrun Envy (pictured), Savage Rose, and Pale Pebble and find that they are just such wearable shades for everyday. One bonus of the horrible packaging is that it makes them really easy to depot into a Z-Palette.

Max Factor Colour Elixir Lipsticks: There was a sale, lipsticks are my weakness and one thing led to another and these two beauties ended up coming home with me. And I am so glad for that moment of weakness as these have become two of my most worn lip colours. Star Dust Pink is a my lips but peachy-pinkier. It's one of those shades that you can slap on without a mirror and know that you won't look like Ronald McDonald. Eternal flame is a bolder pink but it goes on relatively sheer. The colour can be built up into a bold-ish lip but because it is so creamy it doesn't stay put for very long. I find this shade is great for adding a bit of colour to the face and brightening up the complexion on those days when your skin is just looking a little dull. The pigmentation does vary thought the line but all are creamy and extremely comfortable on the lips. They do have a Vanilla scent to them but it doesn't linger after application. 

Bourjois Healthy Mix Concealer in 51: I absolutely adore the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation so I thought I'd give the corresponding concealer a try. I prefer using this under the eyes on days when I need a little more coverage than my Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer but still want something light and brightening. I find this doesn't tend to crease on my skin, or collect in any fine lines I have around my eyes. I don't like using this on any blemishes as it does tend to highlight instead of concealing them. My only complaint about this is the shade range. 51 is the lightest shade and only suits me when I have a tan, and their darkest shade 'Light Bronze' is more akin to that of a British tourist who's spent too long baking in the sun than anything else. However, if you do manage to find your shade it is a great affordable concealer.

Prestige Baked Mineral Blush in Peach: This one really took me by surprise. It blends out well and doesn't apply patchy over foundation if you don't powder beforehand. It has a fine gold reflect running through it and gives a lovely sheen to the cheeks. The colour is great for brightening dull complexions. It is like a sheerer, more natural version of NARS Orgasm (they do have other shades if you aren't a fan of the cult blush and all of it's knock-offs).

Prestige Classic Lip Liner in Silk: This is a creamy, pigmented lipliner is the perfect my-lips-but-better-and-more-even shade. It is such fantastic quality for the price, and on par with some higher-end lip liners that I've tried. I feel like this could be a possible Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat dupe... I guess I'll just have to buy it and compare the two,you know, for research. 

L'oreal Color Riche Couleur de Crayon: Whilst it doesn't apply as smoothly as the By Terry Ombre Blackstars (to be honest, what else is?) it is a great tacky base for eyeshadow or a nice wash of colour all over the lid. Unlike the elusive (seriously Target, would it kill you to restock more often?) NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils this doesn't crease on me and I feel as though my shadow lasts longer with the L'oreal option. 

Australis High Lights in Pearl: The best buy of the bunch, little did I know just how much I would love this product. Many consider the pearl shade a dupe of Benefit's Girl Meets Pearl highlighter, and the gold shade a dupe for Watt's Up. I haven't tried these two Benefit products myself, but I can say that this is a beautiful, creamy highlighter that transforms any makeup look I add it too. Whilst it applies best before powder, it still manages to look good even when you apply it after you've powder the skin. A little goes a long way with this, so the 15g will last you forever.

There you have some of my favourite impulse buys, what are some of yours? Any regrets? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

beauty (5) Brushes (1) foundation (1) review (3) shopping (1)

Blog Archive